I used a slight variation of Leah's Wiggly Tentacles as I thought this would suit the shape of the compass points and it worked OK, although I should have put the lines closer together.
As before I stippled the larger compass points as they have the writing on them, but I don't think this is the right idea. What I hadn't taken into account is that the compasses provide 5 layers through the point, the fabric of the compasses, the foundation backing, the top of the quilt, the batting and then the flannel backing (which is heavy in itself). So I had some problems with stitches skipping as I felt the needle almost hesitating to get through the layers, if that makes sense. I ran out of the red variegated thread before I finished so will have to go back later when I get more to finish it off.
Mental Note to Self: Stop putting finger of the lens of the camera!
So moral of that story is you don't have to fix every mistake immediately, you don't have to worry about every wobbly stitch and you certainly don't have to let it put you off moving forwards. The more forwards you move, the more confident you get and the more forgiving you can be about those early mistakes and actually enjoy seeing them as proof of the learning process and your accomplishments. None of us remember learning how to walk but we walk perfectly now and if we were somehow to see our baby selves attempting to walk, falling down, getting up again and preserving, we wouldn't be negative or scolding of our early attempts. We'd just be proud of how well we tried. So we should be kinder to ourselves as quilters.
I'm thinking of trying Leah's Deco Leaves for the smaller points on the next Compass but would love to hear other ideas and suggestions.
Thanks Leah and UFO Sunday for keeping me on track.